Fuse replacement for Caffe Rosto
Michael Lloyd
2003-10-18 00:49:35 UTC
Oddly enough, when I was roasting two batches of coffee in my two Rostos
this evening, both of them apparently fried the thermal cut out. The funny
thing about this is both of the Rostos had not been used for the past week,
so they were completely cold at the beginning of the roast, and I was doing
nothing different from the scores of roasts I have already done. We are
having a tremendous storm up here in the Seattle area, and there are lots of
power outages. I wonder if a power surge or other fluctuation in the grid
essentially fried my Rostos.

But be that as it may, I now need to replace the thermal cut out. Other
posts on the Net identify the part as a TCO NTE 8230. I did a few Google
searches and could find no supplier of this part. Does anyone know of a Net
supplier or where I could find this in the Seattle area? Would Radio Shack
have this? Electronic repair is not one of my strong suits, so I know
little about part supply.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Milnerb1
2003-10-18 13:56:58 UTC
JR
2003-10-21 14:48:33 UTC
Post by Michael Lloyd
[...]
Michael,

I have done that replacment once. I can't remember the site where I
found the necessary information, but I did find specs for the fuse.
All you need is the specifications for the original fuse, then you can
buy a replacement with the approximately the same fusing point and
capacity. I ended up with a replacement from a local electronics shop
that had about a 5 degree higher spec. I'm sure Radio Shack would
have something.

I will try to find more detail for you on the specifications. In the
meantime, keep browsing the web. The information will show up on an
industrial supply page, and it won't be a US source. The original is
a Japanese component.

Good luck!

JR
Kruger Kid
2003-10-21 15:46:08 UTC
On 21 Oct 2003 07:48:33 -0700, ***@my-deja.com (JR) wrote:

I'm sure Radio Shack would
Post by JR
have something.
JR
Don't count on it!
I asked for a thermal fuse at my local Radio Shack (For my Gaggia
Classic)They replyed with "What's a thermal fuse?". sigh.... I ended
up ordering it online from
http://www.newark.com/
unknown
2003-10-22 00:46:22 UTC
***@my-deja.com (JR) wrote:

I didn't look at the specs, but try:
http://tinyurl.com/rtty
http://tinyurl.com/rttx
http://tinyurl.com/rttv

from Randy and Silvia and Rocky
http://www.quiknet.com/~frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html
reply to: frcn at cncnet dot com
JR
2003-10-22 17:38:04 UTC
Post by unknown
http://tinyurl.com/rtty
http://tinyurl.com/rttx
http://tinyurl.com/rttv
from Randy and Silvia and Rocky
http://www.quiknet.com/~frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html
reply to: frcn at cncnet dot com
Looks like the spec for that fuse may be 228 celsius. This is not a
critical value - if you end up a couple of degrees higher or lower it
isn't going to burn the house down. You probably don't want to
deviate a great deal. Any thermal fuse that is close should work.

JR
unknown
2003-10-22 18:45:26 UTC
Here are the specs for the Radio Shack thermal fuse:

http://tinyurl.com/rtty - Used as a safety protector in many
coffeemakers, small kitchen appliances and other heat in-type devices.
Open circuit when 228º C or 443º F. It will reach a 15A max. current.
There are $1.48 each and are available in the store or online..
Michael Lloyd
2003-10-25 20:12:51 UTC
Post by unknown
http://tinyurl.com/rtty - Used as a safety protector in many
coffeemakers, small kitchen appliances and other heat in-type devices.
Open circuit when 228º C or 443º F. It will reach a 15A max. current.
There are $1.48 each and are available in the store or online..
I took apart my two non-working Rostos and removed the blown thermal cut
out. The part is a Microtemp # 4438 A with a temperature rating of 228
degrees Celsius.

Radio Shack sells an equivalent thermal cut out, part number 270-1321 with
the same temperature rating of 228 degrees Celsius. They sell for $ 1.49
each online, via the 800 Radio Shack number and in local stores. Having the
part number is key to finding the correct item. Radio Shack sells three
thermal cut outs, two of which have much lower temperature ratings. Only
the part number referenced above will work. So Randy's advice is spot on.
I have just bought out the entire stock (five units) at my local Radio
Shack.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd