Bodum Santos Electric Vacuum Coffee Maker
b***@cocococococo.co
2005-06-07 02:23:45 UTC

Anyone owns or has used both the 12-cup and the mini 5-cup Bodum Santos
elec coffee makers? Any noticeable difference in terms of performance?
Thanks.

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----
d***@adelphia.net
2005-06-07 02:48:32 UTC
I have the 12 cup and the 5 cup. They are both capable of the same
performance but the 12 cup just takes waaaay more time to get there.

You will fall in love with the 5 cupper immediately but unless you
drink alone -- especially if you have oversize mugs - you will very
quickly tire of jumping up 15 minutes later and making another pot.

the 12 cupper, however, needs a lot of trials as all of the variables,
like up north time, volume of coffee, etc. seem to be magnified while
you find your sweet spot.

I came to wish they had a 5-7 cup Polycarbonate version which would be
perfect BUT the only way to get one of those is in glass and I just
didn't want to mess with bare feet, the stove and two burning hot
glass globes in the morning.

Hope this helps.
ke_han_ren
2005-06-07 04:13:30 UTC
I bought the 12-cup maker a couple years back and was very
unimpressed-- I returned it. The maker does not allow the coffee to
stay up top for long enough for proper extraction. To get a good cup, I
had to use a TON of ground coffee per batch. Furthermore, the base
retains more water than other vacuum pots, causing the weak brew to be
unnecessarily diluted upon kick-down. Do yourself a favor and buy a
manual vacuum pot, in which you can control the brew time. I think the
Cona pots look awesome. Don't go for the manual Santos, either-- I
found their filters to be unacceptable.

Aaron
geemike
2005-06-07 04:23:24 UTC
I recently wore out a 5 cupper after two years multiple times
daily use and bought another one to replace it.
The 5 cup bodum isn't perfect, but mess with hot glass enough and
you will appreciate that clear carbonate.

Now the wife and I have kind of changed course so we haven't even
unboxed the new mini-e. I do a moka pot and the wife (leaves
earlier than I do) does a pour over through a swiss gold filter.

If you want vac pot give the mini-e a try.

Mike
ke_han_ren
2005-06-07 04:36:29 UTC
Hey Mike,

What is the Mini-E? That makes me think of the Mazzer Mini Electronic,
but aren't you talking about a vac pot? I can understand why you'd like
the poly better, but I just found that the heating element cut out too
quickly, at least on the 12-cup. On the 5-cup, what do you estimate
that the time is between the water going up top and kick-down?

Regards,
Aaron
geemike
2005-06-07 04:47:53 UTC
Post by ke_han_ren
Hey Mike,
What is the Mini-E?
Bodum Santos Mini-e aka "5 cupper" elsewhere this thread
Post by ke_han_ren
the poly better, but I just found that the heating element cut
out too
quickly, at least on the 12-cup. On the 5-cup, what do you
estimate
Yes, I would not care to own the Bodum 12 cupper, too many ghosts
in the machine
Post by ke_han_ren
that the time is between the water going up top and kick-down?
Brew stays up north about 1 minute on the worn out machine I still
use if doing vac pot. Haven't tried the new one yet.
IMAWriter
2005-06-07 17:56:23 UTC
I have both size Sant(i)...if you raise up the bottom of the heat
source opposite the larger "flange" of the upper bowl by 1/3 to 1/2
inches with rubber feet, the up north time is greatly extended...and
with temps of 201f, my up north times of around 1:50 secs is plenty of
time to mix things up...
Actually,using advice from Craig Andrews, I'm allowing the water to get
to maximum temperature, then screwing on the upper with the
coffee...the resulting explosion is better, and I'm getting consistent
1:50 sec brews from my larger eSantos, + another 25 or so seconds for
drop down.....very hot coffee....brew temp is 201f, finished brew is
180 -185f
Craig Andrews
2005-06-07 20:02:10 UTC
Post by IMAWriter
I have both size Sant(i)...if you raise up the bottom of the heat
source opposite the larger "flange" of the upper bowl by 1/3 to 1/2
inches with rubber feet, the up north time is greatly extended...and
with temps of 201f, my up north times of around 1:50 secs is plenty of
time to mix things up...
Actually,using advice from Craig Andrews, I'm allowing the water to get
to maximum temperature, then screwing on the upper with the
coffee...the resulting explosion is better, and I'm getting consistent
1:50 sec brews from my larger eSantos, + another 25 or so seconds for
drop down.....very hot coffee....brew temp is 201f, finished brew is
180 -185f
Thanks for the credit Rob. Happy brewing!
CA.
abryantc399
2005-06-07 22:13:34 UTC
I have the 12 cup Bodum. I filed off 1 mm from the bottom of the funnel and
have consitstent 3:30 times up north. Can't remember who it was here that
extended their antique vac pot funnel with a length of hose to get it to
push all the water up north.
I figured you could do the opposite with a bit of filing and it works. No
feet needed.
I have a brew temp of 197 F.

Stewart
Anthony Leverock
2005-06-09 19:21:06 UTC
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:13:34 -0700, "abryantc399"
Post by abryantc399
I have the 12 cup Bodum. I filed off 1 mm from the bottom of the funnel and
have consitstent 3:30 times up north. Can't remember who it was here that
extended their antique vac pot funnel with a length of hose to get it to
push all the water up north.
I figured you could do the opposite with a bit of filing and it works. No
feet needed.
I have a brew temp of 197 F.
Stewart
I have come close to doing just that but the thought of making a
irreversible change like that to my Utopia has stopped me each time.
So, I continue using my wooden wedge - lifting the left side of the
base just that wee bit.

Did you remove the 1 mm across the entire circumference of the funnel?
Your brew times seem a bit long, I might go with removing 1/2 mm and
see if I can get a 2 minute extraction.

- --
Anthony
(remove the x's to reply)
Anon
2005-06-09 23:03:24 UTC
Because of the slanted bottom, there is always some water left in the bottom
of the Santos. The Santos senses when the water evaporates enough to expose
the center of the pot, the temp goes up and it clicks off starting the
coffee south. If you want it to stay up north longer, just tilt the pot
slightly to keep the water even on the bottom. This technique has been
described on this forum and several others. The up north time can be fine
tuned by attaching small shims to the bottom of the pot. Filing a knoth in
the funnel would make more water stay on the bottom, that would take longer
to evaporate and accomplish the same thing.

I don't bother with this, I just grind smaller which works fine with shorter
up north times.

Anon
Stewart
Aaron Cooper
2005-06-10 04:12:55 UTC
Post by Anon
Because of the slanted bottom, there is always some water left in the bottom
of the Santos. The Santos senses when the water evaporates enough to expose
the center of the pot, the temp goes up and it clicks off starting the
coffee south. If you want it to stay up north longer, just tilt the pot
slightly to keep the water even on the bottom.
Very interesting, thanks for the explanation. I guess I judged it a little
too harshly-- I wish I had known about alt.coffee back when I actually had
the maker. Maybe I'll get another-- I do like the idea of a self-contained
vac pot.

Aaron

Anon
2005-06-07 20:23:42 UTC
I have been using a 5-cup Santos for almost 2 years now. I love it, it brews
just the way I like. I drink alone so the size is perfect for me. Of course,
I am very fond of vacuum pot coffee.

Anon
Dan Warren
2005-06-07 21:58:58 UTC
Post by b***@cocococococo.co
Anyone owns or has used both the 12-cup and the mini 5-cup Bodum Santos
elec coffee makers? Any noticeable difference in terms of performance?
Thanks.
I used the mini for about 2 years before it started to loose it's vaccum.
It makes about 750 ml of coffee. Depending on how fast you drink, the last
cup may be a bit cool.It does not have a keep warm setting.

My problem is that after about 2 years the bottom started to develop micro
cracks that seemed to allow air back in and water would remain "up north".

I called Bodum but ws told that the bottom was not replaceable and I was
SOL. It was buy a new unit and throw the old one out. I would have paid
fro a new bottom carafe but was told that that was not an option.