Vacuum Brewers / Balance Brewer Advice
falcon
2004-12-15 05:42:11 UTC
Can anyone who has experience with owning/operating vac pots/balance
brewers give me their advice?

I would like to use vac pots and/or balance brewers in a few upscale
restaurants. I do not have any experience in using one although I do
love coffee. I would like to brew our coffee on the table of our guests
as they finish dinner.

This would be for 1-3 guests at a time and I want them to enjoy the
unique experience of watching the coffee brew (in addition to the fact
that that a better cup will be served). I am a bit worried about the
cleaning of the units for fear of breakage. Also, the servers are busy
so hopefully they will be around to make sure the flame does not stay
on too long. I narrowed it down to the following:

1) Hario Deco 5 cup: US$75-80
- microburner?? On one hand more gas used on the other hand quicker
less time to boil the water. Smell of fuel from methanol??

2) Yama Gold Table Top: Price?

3) Cafetino: US$175
- Beautiful but the most expensive choice. Being a balance brewer means
that the flame will go out when it is ready so that seems to be a plus.

4) Tayli Vacuum pot Price: ?

5) Hario Nouveau: US$100
- More expensive than the deco and I have read comments that the deco
is superior. Any comments?

6) Yama Syphon pot: US$38 - 5 cup
- Cheap price but apparently this is very easy to use. Supposedly only
2-3 parts i/o 5?

7) Balance Elite Vacuum Brewer: US$139
- Cheaper than the Cafetino but I have not heard of any personal
accounts about the ease of use or reliability.

Bottom line, can anyone give me their comments about any or all of the
above? If you were in my situation which would you choose?
Thanks for your help in advance!
D. Ross
2004-12-15 06:27:54 UTC
| 3) Cafetino: US$175
| - Beautiful but the most expensive choice. Being a balance brewer means
| that the flame will go out when it is ready so that seems to be a plus.

Patrick, who makes these, is a friend of this newsgroup, so you will get a
bit of a biased opinion from me.

$175 is not a lot of money for a piece of cookware in a high end restaurant,
is it?

For visual appeal the Cafetino (or the Royal) seem a clear choice.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
falcon
2004-12-15 07:05:28 UTC
Thanks for the advice. 1 x $175 is not a lot of money but I would
probably need 3 or per restaurant and there may be as many as 45
restaurants involved. So there is quite a difference in savings. That
said, if there is a world of difference then I would go that route.
That said, most of the patrons have never seen a vac pot before (or not
for a long time) and so I am wondering if they would still be happy
with a cheaper alternative that still provides a great cup along with
the beautiful presentation.

I agree that the Cafetino is the most beautiful but out of curiousity
what would be your second choice?
D. Ross
2004-12-15 22:47:59 UTC
| I agree that the Cafetino is the most beautiful but out of curiousity
| what would be your second choice?

If you're not going mainly for the show, then you might want to get a Nicro
or Nicro clone; these are inexpensive all-steel vac pots that brew well and
can stand up to commercial realoities (like dropping).

A local coffeeshop uses Japanese all-glass pots, and one problem with these
is that if they are not scrupulously clean then they are not so appetizing
to look at while brewing. The hardest part to get clean on these is the
inside of the neck, or chamber near the neck. On the cafetino the neck is
steel, and the glass part is pretty accessible.

| Thanks for the advice. 1 x $175 is not a lot of money but I would
| probably need 3 or per restaurant and there may be as many as 45
| restaurants involved.

Surely he would cut you a deal on a purchase of 130 pots?

You could try it in just one restaurant, and see how it flies. I suspect it
will either be a total bust, or will pay for itself quite quickly.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
Jack Denver
2004-12-15 23:25:14 UTC
I have to say that the inside of the cafetino boiler is impossible to get
to. I'm careful to wash mine immediately before any crud dries on and it's
stayed very clean, but if they were neglected, boiled dry, etc. you'd have
a hell of a time cleaning it thru the narrow opening which is about the size
of a wine bottle neck.

The glass is part completely accessible and can be put in the dishwasher.

With a stainless top and bottom Nicro, you really miss the whole show, so
what's the point. Plus the Nicros have a very utilitarian look - to me they
say "Chinese coffee shop" and not "elegant restaurant". It's true that they
are indestructible, but they do not belong on a fancy table top at all.
http://www.demitasse.net
Brent
2004-12-16 01:33:30 UTC
Post by D. Ross
$175 is not a lot of money for a piece of cookware in a high end restaurant,
is it?
I think it depends upon the amount of breakage. If the restaurant is
constantly breaking them, it can quickly add up ...
Jack Denver
2004-12-15 14:07:44 UTC
For a restaurant, I'd go with the Cafetino, though like David I admit bias
in favor of Patrick. He aims these specifically (though not exclusively) at
restaurant accounts and with good reason:

1. They put on more of a "show" than non-balance brewers. There's a
definite conversation piece element to them - people will remember their
coffee service as being something special. Since the coffee service is one
of the last elements of the meal, they'll leave w. a favorable impression.

2. W/o self extinguishing feature, someone has to monitor brewing time.
Chances are the waiter will mis-time the brew and ruin it.

3. Alcohol smell not an issue. Alcohol fuel burns very cleanly. After
extinguishing, lid clamps down. Ethanol smells like (and is, basically)
vodka and is not unpleasant in any case.

4. Stainless brew boiler much more durable than fragile glass - some of the
others wouldn't last a week in a restaurant. The stem footed glass that
holds the coffee is also pretty thick and sturdy and cheaply replaced if it
breaks. Only weak point on mine has been the little wooden knob on top of
the cork for the brew tube, a minor annoyance. But the boiler still gleams
like new after several years. Pictures don't do justice to the dynamite
polishing job they do on the boiler - a real mirror finish that absolutely
sparkles.

Do keep in mind that all vac pots operate best when used full (1 liter in
case of Cafetino) or at least more than 1/2 full. Coffee for 1 may be a
problem. A liter is around six coffee "cups" so 2 to 3 coffee drinkers are
the ideal target. Coffee stays warm for quite a while inside boiler.

Before doing a big rollout on any of them, I'd get a few units and
experiment to see if you can get your staff trained and invested enough to
use these correctly. Even the best brewer could be sabotaged if your staff
sees coffee as an annoyance rather than their last chance to increase their
tip and is not interested in spending the time needed.
Barry Jarrett
2004-12-15 22:02:34 UTC
ever replaced one? mucho dinero.
Jack Denver
Barry Jarrett
2004-12-15 23:17:53 UTC
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:46:56 -0500, "Jack Denver"
Post by Jack Denver
No. How much does Patrick charge? It looks generic enough (like some kind of
big brandy snifter) that I assume you could find a substitute.
custom made heavy glass.

let's just say the price for the replacement part was commensurate
with the price of the brewer.
D. Ross
2004-12-16 08:53:18 UTC
| No. How much does Patrick charge? It looks generic enough (like some kind of
| big brandy snifter) that I assume you could find a substitute.

One should certainly be able to replace it with an inexpensive
dishwasher-safe water carafe, maybe on a small block of wood to elevate it.
Wouldn't look original, but the untrained eye wouldn't know the difference.
Varnish the block of wood to increase the elegance.

Jack, wouldn't a bit of espresso backflush detergent take care of any crud
buildup inside the carafe? If scrubbing is really necessary, just today I
was in a shop that sold long bottle brushes that could be bent into shape -
you could make a curved one to fit, like the Bodum Santos brush.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
Jack Denver
2004-12-16 13:35:16 UTC
Yes, you could get in there with a bottle brush, w/ TSP or Oxyclean, etc.
The Cafetino is stainless so you could use pretty harsh chemicals if
necessary. I've been pretty rigorous about filling mine with hot water/dish
detergent after each use, so there's been no crud buildup to begin with. But
it's much harder to do that kind of upkeep in a restaurant setting.
http://www.demitasse.net
falcon
2004-12-17 05:41:53 UTC
Thanks for the advice. So in essence, after finishing service, let it
cool, fill with water and dishsoap and scrub with a baby bottle brush?
Or would dropping an oxyclean do the trick by itself along with a
brush?

May I assume this approach would work with any vac pot?
D. Ross
2004-12-17 08:44:56 UTC
| Thanks for the advice. So in essence, after finishing service, let it
| cool, fill with water and dishsoap and scrub with a baby bottle brush?

No real need to let cool - it is stainless, after all. All that you will
have had in the thing is coffee, so it normally shouldn't require much if
any scrubbing.

| Or would dropping an oxyclean do the trick by itself

I think you will be better off with a bit of dish soap or dishwasher soap or
espresso machine backflush detergent (a buffered TSP) than oxyclean, which
doesn't rinse out very well.

The stainless part should also be dishwashable (check with Patrick!), and
the force of a commercial dishwasher should be enough to get the innards
cleaned out.

| May I assume this approach would work with any vac pot?

We dishwash our glass Bodum vac pot, but don't know if the Hario, Yama, or
Cona are dishwashable.

PS - Alan Frew at www.coffeeco.com.au has had experience serving coffee at a
cafe using Bodum vac pots. A pity he doesn't seem to be monitoring a.c this
week, as he could probably chime in with useful advice.

- David R.
--
Less information than you ever thought possible:
http://www.demitasse.net
Jack Denver
2004-12-17 15:00:49 UTC
I doubt even a commercial dishwasher would clean the inside: the only
opening is a hole about the size of a wine bottle neck - even if the spray
made it inside it would only strike a small area. I'd say dishwasher would
be a bad idea.

Personally I go with the dish detergent/hot water. As you say, no need to
wait for it to cool.

The one part that has not worn well is the little wooden knob at the top of
the rubber stopper on the filter tube. I'm hoping by now Patrick has found a
better solution there.
cleaned out.
n***@die-spam-die
2004-12-29 01:22:54 UTC
In <***@localhost>, on 12/17/04 at 08:44 AM,
***@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D. Ross) said:

"|We dishwash our glass Bodum vac pot, but don't know if the Hario,
"|Yama, or Cona are dishwashable.

Sorry for the eleven days late comment. The Hario is dishwashable,
subject to the cautions below. I clean my Hario Nouveau daily in the
dishwasher. It cleans beautifully, and in just short of three years'
worth of cleanings, it is no worse for wear. The rubber seals remain
soft and supple.

That said, I have noticed that the glass that Hario uses is very
strong, but not very hard: there are definite micro scratches around
the _inside_ of the "syphon" (funnel) in the region where I stir the
coffee (using the plastic spoon supplied by Hario, holding the spoon
part and stirring with the paddle end) during the brew process. The
paddle rarely touches the syphon wall, so it appears to be the coffee
grounds themselves that are doing the abrading. Any glass that can be
scratched by wet coffee grounds does not have a high surface hardness.
You will want to keep hard surfaced items away from the Hario
components so that they do not rub against each other inside the
dishwasher.

On a related issue, because of the very soft water in Portland,
etching of glassware is a significant problem with 99 percent of
commercial dishwashing detergents. Etching, though it give the
appearance of a physical process, actually is a chemical process, in
which chemicals in the glass are leached out into the wash water,
leaving voids. The principal cause of etching is phosphate in the
detergent formulation, and it is very much exascerbated by soft water.
Because I do not know what chemicals Hario adds to the glass to make
it so strong, I would be concerned with possible leaching of those
chemicals, and the etching of the Hario components, if the dishwwasher
were loaded with Electrasol or Cascade or Sunlight or Palmolive. We
use Ecover, a widely distributed phosphate-free dishwasher detergent
from Belgium, exclusively, and experience no etching whatsoever
despite Portland's very soft water.

Catching up with another post in the thread, Tony Verhulst is (of
course) correct about the methyl alcohol / denatured alcohol
distinction. Methyl alcohol, typically about 15 percent, is mixed
into ethyl alcohol to "denature" it: that is, intentionally to poison
ethyl alcohol so that it cannot be used as a beverage and so that it
can be sold in hardware stores, etc., outside of the purview of state
liquor regulations. I have found that pure methyl alcohol (sold in
the automobile section as Heet brand gas line cleaner) makes a better
fuel for the Hario Nouveau -- it burns hotter -- than regular "marine
fuel," which is usually denatured alcohol.
T. Guilbert
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
falcon
2004-12-17 05:29:52 UTC
Thanks for your input. I will contact Patrick to inquire about his
balance brewer. You mentioned that it puts on more of a "show" and in a
way I was surprised to hear that because a portion of the apparatus is
stainless. Consequently, one can not view the coffee moving back and
forth (do you refer to it as East-West on a balance brewer?) Are there
any links where I can see a video of the Cafetino in operation?

I think you made a good point about the pain in monitoring the device.
With a vac pot how crucial is timing? In other words if the waiter is
late by a minute will that ruin the pot? Or can be it as simple as
telling the customer when to turn off the flame? (worse service I
know:))

Do you think it is preferable to fill a balance brewer or vac pot with
hot water water so that the time can be cut down? I have read that it
takes 15 minutes. 5 minutes is fine but I think by 15 customers may
grow impatient.

Should you (or anyone) suggest hot water would that mean that it would
be a waste of money to go after a microburner?

Thanks for pointing out that it is ideal to fill to capacity. One
company who seems very friendly and helpful is "Avenue 18 - Fine Tea
Merchant" in B.C. He suggested the Hario TCA-3/5. Perhaps this would be
a good compromise?

Noted re. the purchase of a few units and see for myself. I think I
will do that but I would like to narrow it down to maybe two units and
then decide. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience in using a vac
pot so this is a bit of the blind leading the blind scenario. I am
hoping to reduce my ignorance, hence my visit to this site.

Blake
Jack Denver
2004-12-17 15:08:06 UTC
Post by falcon
Thanks for your input. I will contact Patrick to inquire about his
balance brewer. You mentioned that it puts on more of a "show" and in a
way I was surprised to hear that because a portion of the apparatus is
stainless. Consequently, one can not view the coffee moving back and
forth (do you refer to it as East-West on a balance brewer?) Are there
any links where I can see a video of the Cafetino in operation?
More of a show vs. an all stainless brewer like a Nicro. But the balance
brewers are showy despite the metal boilers because you have the added
entertainment of the movement and the flame putting itself, which adds a
surprise the first time a guest sees it. And you do see the water level 1st
rising and then falling in the glass, in some ways even more mysteriously
because you don't see where it's going.
Post by falcon
I think you made a good point about the pain in monitoring the device.
With a vac pot how crucial is timing? In other words if the waiter is
late by a minute will that ruin the pot? Or can be it as simple as
telling the customer when to turn off the flame? (worse service I
know:))
Do you think it is preferable to fill a balance brewer or vac pot with
hot water water so that the time can be cut down? I have read that it
takes 15 minutes. 5 minutes is fine but I think by 15 customers may
grow impatient.
I always start with near boiling water. It would take all day for an alcohol
lamp to boil a liter of water from cold.
Blake
bernie
2004-12-15 16:47:56 UTC
Post by falcon
[...]
I bought 5 or 6 of the Royal units several years ago for resale and
to use in my coffeehouse. Didn't work. The units are beautiful and work
very well. The problem we had was that the setup/clean is too much if
you have hamhanded staff. Even managing that we found that the staff was
very leary of the fuel which burns without visible flame if it
accidentally ignites sans wick. The fuel has a distinct smell which
bothered some guests. I may give it another try. When they are used in a
back seating area which is dark and intimate they are by far the most
appealling presentation you will see in a coffeehouse. Good luck.
Bernie (its a guy toy-flame,shiney and movement)Digman
falcon
2004-12-17 05:37:45 UTC
Thanks Bernie for the reply. Based on your comments regarding the
invisible flame do you think I should just pre heat the water thus
reducing the need for the microburner?

Which fuel was bothersome? The butane or ethanol?

As for the hamhanded staff, I guess you can never avoid it but the
people I am dealing with are already handling expensive wine decantors
so I am going to assume they will tread carefully.

Out of curiousity did you consider other models aside from the
Cafetino? Can you comment on any of the other vac pots mentioned? The
two I am leaning toward are the Cafetino and the Hario TCA 3/5. Do you
have any familiarity with this model?
Craig Andrews
2004-12-17 18:02:24 UTC
Post by falcon
Thanks Bernie for the reply. Based on your comments regarding the
invisible flame do you think I should just pre heat the water thus
reducing the need for the microburner?
Which fuel was bothersome? The butane or ethanol?
As for the hamhanded staff, I guess you can never avoid it but the
people I am dealing with are already handling expensive wine decantors
so I am going to assume they will tread carefully.
Out of curiousity did you consider other models aside from the
Cafetino? Can you comment on any of the other vac pots mentioned? The
two I am leaning toward are the Cafetino and the Hario TCA 3/5. Do you
have any familiarity with this model?
Falcon, you won't have a problem with Methyl Hydrate here in Ontario
Canada, (It's 99.99% pure!)., I'm in Toronto & followed your initial
post & thread over on the Coffeegeek forums.
CraigA on the forums.
falcon
2004-12-17 18:20:26 UTC
Thanks Craig. After speaking with a restaurant that uses vac pots in
Washington, D.C., Hario USA and Avenue 18 in B.C. I have narrowed down
my choices to the following: (I will choose two)

1) Hario Deco 5 cup
2) Hario TCA - 5
3) Cafetino

I think I will purchase the cafetino. But I am trying to decide between
the Deco and the Tech. Apparently the Deco (according to Hario USA) is
less top heavy and has a plastic base that everything can fit into
(looks cheap?) and combined with the handle it may pose less risk of
falling over. That said, is the Tech at risk of falling over? Is that
really a concern? What do you think?

To be honest, I prefer the shape ot the Tech over the Deco. That said,
the Deco is newer and so I assume it is an improved version?
Let me know if you (or anyone else) can add to this.
bernie
2004-12-21 04:04:22 UTC
Post by falcon
Thanks Bernie for the reply. Based on your comments regarding the
invisible flame do you think I should just pre heat the water thus
reducing the need for the microburner?
Which fuel was bothersome? The butane or ethanol?
As for the hamhanded staff, I guess you can never avoid it but the
people I am dealing with are already handling expensive wine decantors
so I am going to assume they will tread carefully.
Out of curiousity did you consider other models aside from the
Cafetino? Can you comment on any of the other vac pots mentioned? The
two I am leaning toward are the Cafetino and the Hario TCA 3/5. Do you
have any familiarity with this model?
I'm using methyl alcohol (denatured alcohol) which puts off a slight
odor, it seems, when the wick is not trimmed back. I did use the setup
at our holiday wine club party and nobody seemed to notice. So maybe I
wasn't trimming the wick properly. I didn't consider any other type of
model. I have, coincidentally, been using the balance brewer several
times in the past week at the shop to brew out the new Jamaica Blue
Mountain we roasted for the holiday. Impressive as always both
functionally and esthetically. Good luck.
Bernie
Tony Verhulst
2004-12-25 03:15:54 UTC
Post by bernie
I'm using methyl alcohol (denatured alcohol)
<chemist mode>

Sorry for going off topic a bit but methyl alchohol is not denatured
alcohol. Denatured alcohol is ethyl alchohol to which methyl alcohol has
been added to make it undrinkable.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/DE/denatured_alcohol.html
http://www.analytyka.com.mx/tabla%20periodica/MSDS/alcoholes/DENATURED%20ALCOHOL.htm

</chemist mode>

Tony V.
DavidMLewis
2004-12-21 22:50:58 UTC
I remembered this last night. At the Boston SCAA show in 2003, Ueshima
Coffee Company showed a couple of things for restaurant use. They're on
this page, about halfway down:
<http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/showreports/04-30-2003>. One is a
halogen burner system for use with Hario vac pots, and the other is an
automated system for small-pot drip brewing.

Best,
David
D. Ross
2004-12-22 07:25:48 UTC
"DavidMLewis" <***@mac.com> wrote:

| I remembered this last night. At the Boston SCAA show in 2003, Ueshima
| Coffee Company showed a couple of things for restaurant use. They're on
| this page, about halfway down:
| <http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/showreports/04-30-2003>. One is a
| halogen burner system for use with Hario vac pots, and the other is an
| automated system for small-pot drip brewing.

The local shop that brews with syphons is a UCC shop, but I don't recall
seeing halogen burners (they usually brew behind the counter).

- David R.