Caffe Rosto Problem
b***@umich.edu
2005-10-05 17:43:17 UTC
I recently purchased a Caffe Rosto from the only North American
distributor, Green Beanery. They promptly shipped the product but
since then have not responded to several inquiries about a problem. It
roasts the beans in about half of the recommended roast time and the
taste really suffers. I checked the voltage and it is right on at 120.
I have had several years of favorable experience with two Fresh Roasts
but desired greater roast capacity. The Green Beanery web site
indicates they provide warranty service for the Rosto but that appears
to be doubtful. I contacted the manufacturer, Brightway. They promptly
responded but indicated that for them to repair a two month old roaster
would cost me $15.00 for a new heating element plus $30.00 for the
repair. I have returned to roasting on my wonderfully reliable Fresh
Roast Plus 8 that was purchased from that wonderfully reliable
business, Sweet Maria's.
Brent

business, Sweet Maria's.
b***@umich.edu
2005-10-06 01:03:06 UTC
Brent,

Yes, I weigh each batch. I am also getting good air circulation so I
think the problem is with the heating unit. Thanks for the response.

Bob
Post by Brent
I assume you are putting the correct weight in the rosto?
From memory, lower weights had quite an effect on roast times
Brent
business, Sweet Maria's.
Brent
2005-10-06 01:49:07 UTC
you are emptying the chaf collector, and have checked that there isn't chaff
that got below the collector?

Another thread, another forum this came up and the problem was chaff in the
vents (wasn't a rosto but still worth checking)

for what it's worth, I found the rosto to be reliable and dependable when we
used it. Upgraded to a commercial roaster and haven't used it since...

Brent
Post by Brent
I assume you are putting the correct weight in the rosto?
From memory, lower weights had quite an effect on roast times
Brent
business, Sweet Maria's.
IMAWriter
2005-10-06 05:11:00 UTC
Hi....hmm..if you haven't used the Rosto since....I'd love a "little
brother" roaster for my SC/CO combo...if you ever decide to sell
it.....?
Robert "loves purchasing good pre-owned stuff" J.
Brent
2005-10-06 20:01:02 UTC
Hi Rob,

Had several offers for it, but it isn't in pristine condition.

It works fine, but there is a little issue, and hell by the time I ship it
to you in the states, you may as well buy another new one!

Brent
Dean
2005-10-07 03:03:34 UTC
I bought a rebuilt unit thru SMs as a spare once it seemed likely that
the Rosto was actually discontinued. It had a couple of problems.

First the heater was shipped with no thermostat built in (just a
thermal fuse). Overheated and popped. Got a replacement heater thru
Maria. (the replacement has a 'stat and so does my first Rosto)

Second the airflow was a bit restricted--the dome in the center of the
chamber has a bunch of vertical slits and they were not open enough.
I wouldn't have known that except that they sent a dome with the
heater. replaced both, works ok. It's still about 20% faster than my
other one. I use the new one for espresso blends or if I want a
little quicker profile. And they are both a lot faster than the chart
in the book suggests they should be.

Also, I backed off the batch size a while back--had been using about
150 gm, now go with 120. Seems like it's a little better profile and
I get two 50 gm batches for my morning brew. (makes "10" cups).

I also have a (rarely used) FR+8 -- talk about a quick profile!

If you're handy, the repair is pretty straightforward. save you some
money that way, maybe. Still it's aggravating when new stuff doesn't
work and the warrantee is worthless.

Really too bad -- the Rosto seems like a pretty good gadget when it's
right.

Best, Dean
Post by b***@umich.edu
Brent,
Yes, I weigh each batch. I am also getting good air circulation so I
think the problem is with the heating unit. Thanks for the response.
Bob
<snip>
business, Sweet Maria's.
Andrew Culpeper
2005-10-07 02:26:06 UTC
Hi Bob,
Try rotating the lid so that the roaster is pulling in some fresh
air instead of recirculating it all. I don't think your unit is
faulty.

Andrew
Happy Rosto owner.
Bruce Hanson
2005-10-18 21:22:19 UTC
Post by b***@umich.edu
[...]
Hi Robert,

Sorry you did not get a response. Please indicate if you are still
having a problem with your Caffe Rosto and we will help you resolve it.

Regards
Bruce, Green Beanery